Saturday, September 6, 2008

Jealous!

That sounds soooo oooo oooo o fun! But fun is how you look at things too, and I like how you are looking at the bright sides, Reags!

Here's how easy my life is: I get to sit around and look at blogs, eating empty waffle cones, whilst my dusty, raggedy children sneak over to the neighbor's house to play unattended and fruit flies collect on the apple corpses scattered 'round the kitchen. Cake I tell you, cake.
O.k. Really, I just wanted to post this picture. My first applesauce ever. Actually it's apple-pear sauce.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jourdan said...

The apples aren't ready here yet, but this makes me SO excited to try canning them. Recipe please?


And...where'd you get all that sweet equipment: dehydrators (plural!?), fruit processor... Awesome!

I just got a cherry stoner today, in preparation for next June when I buy 20 pounds worth!

Kelsey said...

Cherry Stoner! Never heard of such a cool thing before. Want it.

The processor is called a "Victorio Strainer" (model 200). I borrowed it from a friend and it makes applesauce the easiest thing you've ever done. I am buying one and doing 100lbs of apples next fall. I did approx 20?lbs of apples and only got 5 quarts.

Also, I used no recipe. I quartered and slightly softened the apples over the stove. Then popped them in the top of the strainer. As you turn the handle, it spits out all the skin, seeds, etc, and the applesauce slides down the middle outlet. It's a great texture. I thought I might want it chunky, but the kids have liked it smooth best. The apples I had were Gravensteins, pretty tart. So I did a bunch of pears to sweeten it up. Then the pearsauce was too juicy. So I boiled it down to make a thick pearsauce and stirred it in with the applesauce. Added less than a cup of sugar and a tiny dash of vanilla. So good, I was surprised how little of pear gave it a nice pear "essence". I left out the cinnamon because I thought that would be easy enough to add later and I didn't want to pigeon-hole the flavor. I haven't tried it canned yet though. I'll let you know. I hate to break one open since I only have 5... I did use one of the jars of apple pie filling to make an apple-oat cake. It made it so easy. O.k. comment too long. Maybe we should talk. xo

Jourdan said...

ooo. I've used one of those food strainers, very cool. What if I used my apple slicer/peeler and put chunky with the smooth stuff?


I will definitely experiment. Thanks.