Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Makin Potato Soup Tonight

That's what I'm doin right this very moment. I haven't gotten used to the whole facebook "This is what I'm doin" codes, so this where it be.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bryan said...

yummm! Recipe please?

Kelsey said...

I love that the cuzzes love to cook! Well, I know that there are much more complex recipes out there, but this is my simple, quick, always-in-the-pantry, tried and true and it always works out.

Big pot.
Olive oil & butter (ixnay to argarinemay)
1-2 Onions small chopped, + a shallot if you have one.
Chicken Broth (absolutely necessary).
Russet (baking) Potatoes, 1/2-inch diced.(1 for each person eating the soup! Also, Rusty likes it with the skins on, but peel at your pleasure.)
...
(High)heat a tablespoon of butter in a tablespoon or two of olive oil in the big pot. When they're mixed and melted, add the onions/shallot. When the onions are browning/carmelizing add the potatoes and enough broth to cover the potatoes. Stir it a bit. If the potatoes swirl around then your soup will be fairly brothy. If the broth just barely covers the potatoes, your soup will be thick. (But you can always add broth later too.)
Cook until boiling, then lower heat to a tame bubble. (The bigger/faster it bubbles the quicker it will cook, but watch out that the bottom doesn't burn.)Cook until potatoes are soft. You can smash up some or all of the potatoes depending on how smooth/brothy/thick/chunky you like it. Garnish with pepper. (You could add salt later, but the broth should be all the salt it needs.)
Done!
...
Fun additions:
*Make it potato cheese soup by stirring grated cheddar in when it's just done cooking.
*Potato cheese brocolli: Add diced broccoli about 20 minutes into the simmer.
*After it's served in bowls, add a dollop of sour cream.
*Add sliced leeks instead of/with onions.
*Throw in some chopped rosemary.
*Skip oil.Cook chopped bacon in the pot first, then remove. Cook the onions in the flavorful bacon grease. Proceed as usual and toss the crunchy bacon back in at the end or on top as a garnish.

Now it's your turn. I need a new quick/easy winter recipe!