Friday, December 16, 2011

Am I crazy?

Sometime I feel like screaming, or on the flip side just lay down and go to sleep. Do you ever feel like this?

           The laundry is never done, the house is always a mess (no matter how hard I try), whinny kids, teething, constipation (Ethan), and looking good and staying happy and upbeat through it all... while being understanding when the kids get into trouble! WHAT?!? My friend was saying to me the other day that she told her husband that he couldn't afford her. If he had to pay her for cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids, shopping, etc... he couldn't afford her. I thought that was a funny way of looking at things.

But seriously! How do you do it? Sometimes I have days... (like today) where everything seems to pile up on me and conveniently those are the days when the kids act up the most. Oh and did I mention Ryan's sister are having a double wedding on the 27th of December. Yep, you read right... double wedding, in about 2 weeks... Just getting ready for Christmas is hard enough. Don't get me wrong, I am super excited for them, and it is going to be one heck of a dance party!! (my favorite part!) The prep up to it is the crazy part!!

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry for the venting post, but this was actually very therapeutic for me. I needed it! Thanks for understanding.

P.S. does anyone feel like they can never entertain their kids enough and still get things done? If you have any advice, I NEED IT!!!


Love, Katie Mae


7 comments:

Brownbellies said...

I often feel the same way! I've been given the impossible tasks that never truly get done. I try to think of the future when I'll only have David and I's laundry/mess and it actually makes me appreciate what I have now. Yes my house is a mess yes I have piles of laundry and dishes but that's because I have a house full of family. Little kids are behind the mess and one day they will grow up and it makes my heart hurt to think about my future clean house. I also find it frustrating to balance their fun with the things I need to get done. I have no secret but somedays are Definantly better than others. I feel your frustration!

Jourdan said...

Katie, I don't think there are any real solutions to this because having kids is just plain hard. There may be things that make life easier/simpler but that's only when you can learn to let go of all or most of your expectations. Find a new expectation that isn't so hard to meet!

I find it ironic that you posted this today because I was locked in my room (yes, with banging children on the door) for at least an hour today balling my head off (not so uncommon of late) because I just can't do it all and felt completely overwhelmed, like a sinking ship really. The pressure of everything gets to me so often I don't know how I'll survive or why I ever thought I could do this, because it appears I am completely failing. But, life goes on and I think my biggest issue is just learning how to love life even though "it will NOT EVER ALL GET DONE". I just want to enjoy my children and help them learn/grow, but it seems impossible to do that if I'm neglecting all my other duties and I certainly haven't figured out how to do both.

I guess the point is: you're not alone! I want to run away almost every single day of my pregnancies, it's a wonder I keep doing this but I know it gets better/easier at some point. And then...it gets harder....again and again.

Such is life. I hope I can just use your motto of "being happy" to enjoy the moment while its here. There is always a new season of life around the corner bringing new joys and new challenges. That is why experienced mothers, if they've fought the fire with optimism not perfectionism, are among the wisest I know in this life.

You're an amazing wife and mother Kate and you'll only get better and better! I think our vision of what we think motherhood is takes an entire life-time to figure out and achieve.

Brownbellies said...

Umm Jo I'm totally in town and you should come to the Browns on days like that.

Kelsey said...

Ha, I've been on slow dissolve this week. Now that all the kids are involved in everything and I'm either supporting them or trying to hold the house together, I have not spent one minute outside our home doing any Christmas preparation! I have 9 p.m. until midnight to do anything of worth and guess what: when you're tired it ends up being worthless work anyway! Rusty was working from home today and I was just sitting on top of the stairs staring into space. He asked what's wrong and I said I can't do anything with kids around me 100% of the time! and he said, "but it's too late because that is what our life is now and I thought that's what we planned on."

I think we all just need a break sometimes really and to know we're not alone. Then balancing that with trying to see the glass half-full and smiling at the people you love best. Seems like tricky work to me. I did squeeze in a couple of hours at target tonight and I am glad to finally have Christmas cards in my hand. We'll see if they get mailed.

Ah, I wonder what we'll all be commiserating about when we're 75... Probably rheumatism.

Kelsey said...

One more thing. It is nice to hear that people who seem like they rarely have these days, actually do! Somehow it makes me feel less below average and closer to making it.

You guys inspire me. xo

Jourdan said...

I would have EM! But having sick kids is just one more thing to push a mother over the edge...it means we all can not go ANYWHERE and everyone rejects our company (udnerstandable!). But we are going insane over here, especially me. I fear the more children you have, the odds of one or all of them being sick at some point the entire winter is just where it's gonna be for a while.

Yet another reason to despise the winter. ;(

Brownbellies said...

Well I appreciate that you have stayed away with sick kids. I'm hoping mine won't catch anything while we are here but who knows.