What does your name mean:
Three different sites, three different meanings: Admiring, Industrious, To Strive Or Excel Or Rival
Embarrassing memory or secret:
I honestly think I have trained my mind to block embarrassing memories out completely. I am sure I have at least one but for the life of me I can't recall any.
This may not be a secret but I really admire my feet, I actually love them. Especially the left one because the second biggest toe has two moles on it. One on the back/bottom that has been there ever since I can remember and one right on the tip top. I love them (I can't stand other people's feet though, no offense they just gross me out).
Secretly wished-for secret power:
I want to have magic like Samantha on Bewtiched. I would love to wiggle my nose and have the house clean and be able to travel with that wiggle speed, especially because I live 1700 miles away from my family.
Clever housekeeping/kidkeeping trick:
The thing that works best for me is a cleaning schedule. Each day I have a room or two and specific things I'd like done in that room. I also have a batch of laundry to wash, fold and put away. There is also the daily chores like dishes that are included on each day. If I stick to my schedule I'm not overwhelmed because I know that later on in the week it will get done. I don't stress about anything except for what is on the list for that day.
Most hated chore:
Washing dishes and folding/putting away laundry. I despise them and yet they are a daily task. I'm learning to do them with a happy heart.
Loved book or author:
I haven't really read a lot since I've been married. I actually never was one to just read for pleasure very often. But there are a few good books that I couldn't put down, Harry Potter 1-7 loved them all! The Giver, A Thousand Splendid suns(I probably couldn't read that now because pregnancy gives me very real life dreams and books seem to really effect me more), The Secret life of Bees. I can't really think of any others.
Place & time in history you would visit if you could:
I would love to be able to go back to pioneer time. It would be so fun to go to Nauvoo and see all the people working hard to build their city. Also to meet the Prophet Joseph Smith and Emma. I've always loved that time period.
Pet peeve(s):
Floaties in my drink. Whiny children
Type of music:
I love anything you can dance to. David, Daniel, Maggie and I often have dance parties in the living room.
Most essential make-up piece:
I don't wear make-up very often but when I do I go for mascara. I've always been a little afraid of make-up and don't really know what I'm doing so I've just steered clear. However as I age I'm realizing I may need to learn how to use it.
Morning or night person:
I used to be morning but now I'm night. That's actually probably why I'm not a morning person. If I went to bed at a descent time I may be able to get up in the mornings.
What do you most look forward to in the week:
The weekend with my family. Any alone time I can squeeze in.
If someone gave you the day off, what would you do:
Sleep, eat, sleep, eat some more, maybe finish unfinished crafts and then eat some more and sleep.
Unique talent or ability:
I used to be able to wrap my legs behind my head like a pretzel. I haven't tried in awhile and being prego I don't think it would be a good idea to, but I'm pretty flexible.
Truthfully, how many pairs of shoes do you have:
Maybe 15 I've really been a lot better since I've been married and had more of a budget.
Comment or memory regarding Grandma:
My first memory of her was 4 months after David and I were married we made our first trip up to Oregon. We were in the kitchen sitting in the green chairs talking and her hearing aide kept ringing. She just kept talking and talking. I turned to her and said "Grandma your hearing aide is ringing" she said "what!?!" I again said "your hearing aide is ringing," She got up all huffy and said "well , how rude!" then walked out of the room. I thought for sure she hated me, I'd offended her and that was it. Just as she turned to walk out she glanced back at me and gave me a big toothless grin and a wink.
Also, when Dave and I got married so many people told him what a lucky guy he was for marrying me. He told grandma that and so she always makes sure to tell me "what a lucky girl you are for marrying David." (I agree with her)
9 comments:
Good one Em! I especially love your memories of grandma. 1 week and 1 day!!!!!
Totally. For some reason, I love that you love your feet, and that pink is your favorite color. Also, its so true that the older you get the more the makeup skills are handy! I assume I will look like Tammy Faye Baker in a decade or two.
Hilarious grandma memory! Also, I used to wrap my legs around my head too, I even have a picture!Not sure I'm going to try it for a while though. I'll make sure to try it with you though, when I do (after next summer or so...)
Kels, I totally had to google tammy Faye baker, but I agree. I'm gonna need to google "how to age seemlessly" now and work at it. I'm only 28 and things are going downhill, FAST!
Delete Comment From: Cousins Unite!
Blogger Kelsey said...
Can we just have a little dialogue here? Because I'm not really up for it on my own blog when it's so much more comfortable around here with you girls and I've been dying to get this off my chest.
Have you ever been glad you weren't born with a shiny bumpy acneish complexion? Well it is weird but one night I've got a normal, smooth forehead and the next day it's all huge pores and bumpy like the flesh underneath is hardening and withering in different places and small acne spots. Seriously! You think that what you have is what you have and then it's so shocking when it changes. Actually ages! Guys, it bugs. I'm trying to ignore it/accept it, but now I totally get why older women want bangs. Oh my gosh, I saw a normalish-sized woman at church--Jo, it was Rhonda Taylor--with each bun longer than her back, and I can not be sure that won't be me in a number of years. Because the buns aren't holding it together like they used to--and I run 3+ times a week the same as I always have. You can not believe the difference in the way my body hangs before Lou's pregnancy (pre-30) to afterward. I thought this would happen at 50 not 31! Not to freak anyone out. Jourd works out so thoroughly and total-body wise, I'm sure this will not be her or anyone else's problem. But it sure is mine! And no more thinking that I have cheated the natural order of things when I'm comparing myself to women older than myself! Of course our gorgeous mothers totally slay that theory.
First of all Kels, I think you are preaching to the WRONG CROWD. I mean, look at our cousins? They are not only younger and have no idea what you are referring to (though they think they might) but they have different genetics then us bluth girls.
But, with that said I have to remain hopeful that there IS something you can do about it without obsessing your life/time away on something in actuality that doesn't matter as much as other more-time consuming things/people. First of all, I think the healthiest one can be is have a REALISTIC relationship with their body and the food they put in it. If we emotionally eat (happy or sad, or mad or whatever!), it will show no matter how much we work out nor matter what foods they actually are! Plain and simple: if you eat more than you burn, YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT but even once that weight is miraculously lost (or kept on) the maintenance is just as important and whole foods without processed foods/grains of any kind will help you achieve a greater sens of health than crap (even if its the same amount of calories). blah blah we know all this but I think something I have discovered is that if I can look at food for just what it is: FOOD, then I can spend my days realistically evaluating other aspects of my life. It is not an enemy, just another important tool to learn how to conquer the relationship between your mind and body.
I'm not being very clear. I guess my point (for myself mostly) is that I want a healthy relationship with something that is a huge part of my life. I love food and all the social, cultural, physical passions it drives but I don't want it to rule my life. Meaning I don't want to think about my body shape/image/size every second for the rest of my life and constantly be unhappy with it. I want to eat what I want, when I want it, but in VERY small to moderate portions as to not "feed" my emotion of the "more the merrier."
Also, I know that just running will not give you that "runners" look that so many people have for "just running." I have learned there are so many different aspects to muscle tone and body composition. Somepeople just naturally have it (ei: Brown muscle genes!) and others have to work many times harder to get it or even keep it up. Then add age and slowing metabolisms and yes, every year we have to work THAT much harder without getting to the point where we are obsessing (it just depends on how important it is for you to feel in control of how hard your body will work for you). It's totally frustrating when I think about how hard I have to work to "look" half as good as the next thirty-year old at the gym, but when I stop thinking about how I look and realize that I feel fit and so capable of most things athletically (not meaning I am fast or abnormally strong, just that I feel capable of doing the things I love without being out of breath or tired or weak) than what I look like down to the three (or many more) inches of fat around my thighs/hip/belly don't matter anymore.
This comment is getting out of control but in your case, if you're really that concerned there ARE a few minimal things you could do that would drastically change your shape if not only the way you feel about your self. Set aside 15 minutes a day (or only 5-10!) and look up some ab exercises to do. Fit in a couple sets of lunges (awesome for bum lift!), squats and push-ups and make it your daily thing. If you can't do that then fit in some weekly yoga (it doesn't have to be longer than 15-20 min) and you will see/feel a difference in your strength and overall tone. FORM IS EVERYTHING. If you are sloppy, so will your muscle development (this also goes to running form: put your shoulders down, straighten your back, use your arms, lengthen your stride and you will also see/feel a difference). Be deliberate with each muscle contraction and use the breath to move through the movements and this will help you tighten your form. I know this may sound all like old news, but it's true. ALthough there are many things I despise about attending the gym, it has taught me over the years about so many bad habits that can go unnoticed/unused when you are exercise alone. Too bad we don't all just live on a farm and have our daily chores to keep our bodies firm and fit! Our world is very different now.
I think taking at least an hour a day to regenerate all that would otherwise be lost (along with evaluating goals of healthy food choices and getting quality night-rest) is not only fair, but downright moral! We use our bodies for EVERYTHING, why not use 1/14th of our daily hours to give them the best treatment and use every piece to feel strong and healthy and capable to carry-out our worthy responsibilities?!
Haha, and this is all very hypocritical to mention because when I am feeling emotionally strained/weak (read:PREGNANCY)I can hardly find the motivation for any of those mentioned above. But, I'm turning over a new leaf! I will not waist away the next four months and wait for my body to be mine again, I'm going to be more conscious of my food choices and exercise every day even if it's just a short walk because I am so sick of feeling like crap and missing all the things I once enjoyed just because I can't control my weight-gain/mood-swings/hormone levels!
And now you know what i can't blog lately...I can't do anything without it taking a millions years/thoughts and I am sick of hearing myself talk about things I can only dream about right now. I hope nobody actually just read these comments! :)
Jourdan & Kelsey I LOVE YOU!!! You make such great points. I'm really starting to feel the age catching up to me. My body has changed so much since having kids and I notice a huge difference with pregnancy #3 from #1. Jo I finally realized what you meant about rolling your boobs up to put in your bra. Before kids I had nice perky c's and after Maggie I had the saddest saggy a's. I cried. It was so disheartening. I never want to stop nursing kids because what they leave me is nothing!!
I think the one thing that makes me sad is I have no motivation yet to get in shape. David now working in the Health Club industry constantly tries to encourage me to work out and get in good habits and I try I really do. I set a goal (lasted 2 weeks) to get up in the morning and do just 20 mins of yoga. It was great I got up, I worked out I ate breakfast and I was ready for the day. However my kids started catching on that I was getting up earlier so my workout time went from 6:40 to 6:00 in a matter of days. Its totally impossible to do Yoga with a 3 year old jumping on/over/under you and a 1 year old crying for attention and following her brothers example. I gave up, especially after I found out I was prego because I have ZERO motivation to work out knowing i'm just going to keep getting fat. Jo, I love your new outlook and hope to find the motivation to follow suit. I know that my body will only get worse if I don't start treating it better. I've found it really difficult though to get healthy foods to the table. My groceries cost twice as much here as they did in Utah (one gallon of Milk=3.69 at sams) and when I go to whole foods everything is even more. I know that I need to be better but I guess I just don't have the tools. I need a teacher, someone to walk me through it i guess. You both are so great about eating healthy and making sure your children do to. I honestly don't know how you do it.
Em, the great thing about getting older is realizing some of those things are NOT the end of the world, it only seems that to a teenaged body who has never known what the sacrifice is for: and it's worth it. Plus, even if things do sag and there are lumps where there didn't used to be, and it will NEVER be the same as before, if its important to you then you CAN make a difference by making it a priority. But if we sit around complaining about it doing the same things we always have, nothing will change for the better, only the worse.
So my advice (to me too!) is get passionate about it, but don't obsess! THe littlest positive changes you make to your lifestyle that stick (make them last!) will make the biggest difference in the long run. Just like reading one scripture verse a day is better than nothing, so is learning to park farther from the store entrances, take the stairs, do squats while you make dinner, take that water bottle with you everywhere (etc) are better than doing NOTHING. You don't have to go to the gym everyday or shop at whole foods to be healthy! Just make little choices that work for you stick and educate yourself on what healthy lifestyles choices that YOU can fit in your life (I can NOT work out at home either, it has never ever worked for me because of that reason Em. If I wake up early, so do the kids! So I have to leave. But once I'm out and get going, I am more likely to do lunges up the driveway and finish up with sit-ups in my front room then starting there, you know?)
The more you practice the more you realize how you ever lived without those choices because they feel SO good (remember the scripture analogy). Focus on what works for you and what makes you feel awesome (even if its hard) and not feel guilty about what you're "not doing". You have some pretty amazing assets Em (flawless gorgeous face,incredible hair that does what you want in the right haircut!, skinniest longest legs, nice feet,etc) so use them for what they're worth and forget the rest! As you get/feel healthy those things won't seem like such a big deal (because none of us have it all!).
Love you! I know it's a life long process we're all learning, but this point happens to be one I just keep getting more and more passionate about the more I see how positively it affects my life. So hard to keep things in balance though, as always. There is a season for everything and no one is perfect at all things in every season. We all shine here and there and support each other in seasons of drought. You are AWESOME~! And I can't wait to see you in a few weeks :) Let's plan a party?
Thanks Jo! You are so great. Its true I always feel better if I read just once verse a day compared to nothing. I actually keep my B of M in the Bathroom (of all places) and try to hide away to get what little reading I can get done. I just need to focus on good habits. I feel also out here I'm more prone do be depressed because my support system is so far away. Of course David is a great support but my family is a huge part of my life and I've found that out even more living here. I need to figure out how to fight that also. I know if I just incorporate one thing at a time and stick with it i'll start to do and feel better. I want to change and I think the key is just a little at a time not one big HUGE change cause its not doable for me that way. Thanks for encouragement! We are all in this together and that really is comforting. We can help each other out, That's what Families are for!
By the way I'll be there in just 7 DAYS!!! We better party! I want D to play with the boys and Maggie to play with Flora, I think they will really like each other. This Christmas is going to be blast with all the family coming!
Post a Comment