Sunday, March 11, 2012

baby update

So, here's an update because I feel like I've been on the phone so much in the last 24 hours I can't bare another phone call until tomorrow.

My blood work results last Wednesday (first time they tested for Choleostasis, even though I thought they had previously) came back postive. I had dangerously high bile acids and liver enzymes in my blood, which basically means my gall duct (now functioning as my gallbladder and connected to both the liver and small intestines) is inflamed and my liver is malfunctioning on more than one level (it has many functions, look it up!).

Anyways, so I was ordered to get a non-stress test and blood work drawn every day until the midwives/doctor/specialist said it was time to induce me (def before 37 weeks). My levels raised again on Saturday and I was ordered to the hospital that night to be put on closer monitoring along with the baby. I am getting steroids to mature her lungs and will be induced on Tuesday, which is exactly four weeks early. The levels were high enough to put her at huge risk for stillborn and me at risk for liver disease or worse, failure.

I feel ok because I'm not in a gown or hooked up to cords/monitors. The hospital is not the worst place on earth to be alone but it can get a little dreary. I am nervous to know how the baby will respond to such an early forced birth and hope for the best. At least I know the worst could only be low oxygen levels, jaundice and/or eating problems...not death! But my hope and prayers are for a vaginal birth and a pink healthy baby that is ready for this world. I would be lying if I didn't say I was SO EXCITED to finally meet her, even though I wish she was able to stay in and cook until her turkey thermometer had popped out on its own.

For now, her birthday will be 3-13-12 and I have one more day to process this...all. by. myself in this tiny little room. Every time I hear a newborn down the hall I get shivers knowing it will be my turn before I know it. There is nothing that compares to anticipating that baby you know is all yours. ahhhh!

p.s. I just spent the latter part of tonight setting up babysitters for the entire week and am so relieved to have that done! (Rod can't get work off and his mom is in CA for two weeks). I have a total of 9 people they are switching back and forth to, but I sure am grateful for them! I have some pretty incredible neighbors and friends/cousins/aunts!

I'll post pictures when I'm feeling less than exhausted! love you all

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Wow Jourdan. Love x 1000 to you! xo

Kelsey said...

SOOOO Excited to see this little bundle, and hear her name!!!!