Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Traditions


So I was talking to Eli's lovely girlfriend (we'll call her Maria, and she is lovely & sweet) about family traditions and she shared the most brilliant idea I've heard in a long time, that her family actually does, every year!

Around Thanksgiving they start brain-storming for a new "theme" for Christmas Day. Once the theme is picked, every one gets together in costume/character with full decor and helps make food to go along with the theme. It may be sort of exhausting for us moms to have one more thing to think of/plan/do, but down the road it could get really fun. Because what do you do on Christmas Day besides sit around and do nothing with each other anyways? Why not spend the day coming up with fun things to wear and different cultural foods to cook! Some years it could be more extensive than others. You could learn about other religions, cultures & countries and how they celebrate the biggest holiday of the year(or if they even do)... doesn't that sound awesome??!

Don't be surprised if I do it.... or at least try.



P.S. Next year we are going to have a rockin' Costume Party at the Browns for Halloween. So, start thinking about ideas now!

P.P.S. Who is spear-heading New Years Eve this year? I will not be left in the dust, nor be the only one awake at 3 am again. I come up with lame ideas in late notice.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

This all sounds fabulous, but we have Christmas Day split between three families, and Christmas Eve between two other different places. And the weekend before the 25th is Rusty's Dad's Christmas!

So, when are you all going to come up for a NW New Year's Eve? Maybe in a few years when y'all have husbands because I don't think Rusty could handle, on his own, 10% of what went on last New Year's at the Browns'. Wish I could fly in for the evening though!