Sunday, November 13, 2011

Book Club of the Future

I took a very long bath last week. I think I was in there for over an hour! I fell asleep, read, refilled on hot water, and just thought about things. Rare occurrence.

One of my thoughts. I can barely recall most things from my past, and it is usually a blurry, hazy image. But how long have any of us actually had time to think, year-by-year, about our lives from our beginning until now? All of us are so busy! From toddler to the K-12 years to college to jobs and family life, it's do, do, do every minute. There are times to smell the roses, but even so those moments are engaged in enjoying the present. I can not think of a single time in my life where I've had a while put together a full mental timeline of my past, I'm too busy headed to the future!

Eventually comes the time where we will be old and not so occupied anymore. I believe this is the time where we will start going over and over our lives, piecing together our history and connecting the memories. Both my grandmas are definitely at this stage. What a gift it would be to have Grandma Leland's accurate story from her earliest recollection through her life. I would love to have that from any of my parents or ancestors. It is sad that when they're gone, those sweet or sad stories go with them.

In Unbroken, the hero, with a companion, is surviving at sea for weeks. To keep their wits, they tell each other their life stories, each time remembering new aspects, until their memories become so sharply focused that they can recall very early events and specific details--such as smells and colors--that they've never recollected before.


So, I am going to begin writing. I will write whatever I can remember, which will be basic. I can't even remember if I was born in Lindon or Provo! But hopefully, as I go back and back again, it will start to flesh out. Details that might have been lost will be saved. It feels doable because there is no pressure to write it perfectly or all at once, thank you Computer. Not a new idea, I know, but for complicated reasons I can not keep a personal daily journal, so I'm excited about this project that needs no finish date or proper outcome, but will nonetheless be valuable.

I guess I wrote this because, when I'm aged, I want to read your histories too, so maybe a few of you will do it and we all can have an 80-year old book club about ourselves--we will call it "Books about us"--and invite our grandchildren who will think we're awesomely old.
Xo,
Kelsey Louise

2 comments:

Jourdan said...

I have always kept a journal because i have instinctly f this exact idea was sacred. I wish i knew more about my grandparents....i feel i dont't know neqr enough bout my own parents. Many of my present thoughts, as written in journal style are at either extreme(sad, mad, lonely, happy, grateful) but they are part of my story. I am volatile and so imperfect but i have lots of normal days too, i think thqt's why blogging is so amazing as well. If i give my children nothing good but the memories i held of them, that may be good enough for me at this point. Your idea inspires me too. I was planning on reading unbroken...it's next up!

Bryan said...

This idea has been floating around in my head for awhile now. I think it was trying to get my attention, but I didn't heed it. Thanks for pinning it down for me. I definitely want/need to do this.