Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Graphically Speaking

So, most of you know I studied art in college. This is something I knew I would do from the time I was really young. But the funny thing is, I had and still have a hard time figuring out what ART really means to me. When I graduated, my big regret was that I hadn't found my niche as an artist and I didn't even know why I loved it so much besides the fact that I love "making stuff". I also found I wasn't near as good as I hoped to be after such focused practice. Why am I so drawn to something that is so nonfunctional? I guess there is functional art, but that's not the kind I'd like to discuss today.

The most reasonable art major I could think of was Graphic Design. I knew with a degree in that I could easily find jobs that would be flexible with my ultimate goal of being a mother, not to mention being well-paid for my time. But guess what? I gave it a whirl and I was TERRIBLE. More than terrible, it just wasn't where I belonged (the contast demand of technological advancing and equipment, the negative space and simplicity, typography horror-stories, etc.). I also tried a few other emphases with little success (illustration, photography, etc...) so I stumbled back into fine art painting still not feeling totally comfortable with the rest of my classmates creative level but loving it nonetheless. I could have studied and drifted around in art at BYU FOR.EV.ER, it was that incredible.

It's been almost 8 years since graduation and though I've done little actual painting, I feel like with the help of the internet and the inspiration of my own little family, my real creative work has only just begun. And guess what else? I am drawn to graphic art more than ever! This really surprises me. It seems that the relationship between the color scheme, line work and the simplicity of both organic and geometric shapes is what I spend most of my hours day-dreaming about when it comes to painting. It's really nice to know where to look for inspiration, even though I hardly get the chance to act on it.

Here are a few images that may as well be chocolate-covered, as to the way they make my mind drool (if you follow my pinterest, these images may not be new to you but check out my boards for higher quality resolution links):




































Not so say I don't love a variety of mediums and styles (I could write a post on each!). Also, this is my own definition of graphic:) and is just what I wish I could practice producing lately. Tell me, what's your favorite kind of art?

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

Oh, I love the watercolor splashing down on the umbrella girl and the solitary cabin on the mountainside and the pillow! Those give me the most intense responses. All of them are gorge though!

Lately I'm in love with old-school detailed painting, like the Twelve Days of Christmas by Gennady Spirin.