Friday, November 18, 2011

A DAY OF POEMS

For me poetry is something that I love, but it will also always elude me in a way. It takes me a while to understand and feel the poem, but once I do, the words are magic and I am brought to a whole new level.

I remember the first time I really appreciated poetry. I was a sophomore in high school and I had an assignment in my lit class to analyze a Emily Dickinson Poem. I dreaded the assignment all week and put it off to the very last second, literally. I stayed up all night and through the morning writing my analysis, finishing my last sentences minutes before I had to get dressed and head out the door for school. That night was a journey for me. It began with patience which quickly turned into frustration and finally through some answer to prayer my eyes were opened and I began to see what Emily was trying to tell me. I didn't mind that I had a nights work ahead of me, because what I was reading was inspirational and in a way God given.

That was the hard stuff, and I don't attempt at it very often, but when I do, I come out with a new view and an appreciation for the work that goes into it and the beauty that comes out.

Some other kind of poetry is entertaining and light-hearted. I want to share with you all types of poetry today, so no matter what kinds you like, there will be something here for you to enjoy. I'll post throughout the day.

So, enjoy!