Friday, November 18, 2011

Wonder











The skies in their magnificence



The lively, lovely air;



O how divine, how soft, how sweet, how fair!



The stars did entertain my sense,



And all the works of God so bright and pure,



So rich and great did seem,



As if they ever must endure,



In my esteem.







A native health and innocence



Within my bones did grow,



And while my God did all his glories show,



I felt a vigor in my sense



That was all Spirit. I within did flow



With seas of life like wine;



I nothing in the world did know



But 'twas divine.







Proprieties themselves were mine,



And hedges ornaments;



Walls, boxes, coffers, and their rich contents



Did not divide my joys, but shine.



Clothes, ribbons, jewels, laces, I esteemed



My joys by others worn;



For me they all to wear them seemed



When I was born.







by Thomas Traherne

No comments: