I don't understand why any member of our church could be upset that our leaders have asked us to gather together to vote against a proposition that would make gay marriage a law. It is perfectly understandable. We are encouraged to live by the laws of the land and vote for candidates that will stand for what we believe is right. No political person or party can perfectly encompass our beliefs, and so to vote for a person/party is a personal decision.
However, when a particular law is under a general vote, which law would be 100% in opposition to the core of our gospel, how could it be right for those that are responsible for our generation to hope that members of the church might notice that it's happening and do something to protect the family? It is sad that to hold to a moral line that has been instituted with the creation of man means you are prejudiced or fanatical in some way. Doesn't it seem so clear to you guys that Satan has pulled a gauzy wool over the world's eyes?
O.k., I was originally going to post this on my blog after reading Elle's blog, Jourdan. But I knew it would do nobody any good. I just want to know what you guys think about this. ~Kels
3 comments:
i totally and completely agree. but on the flipside, i see why church members would be upset: they understand the "separation of church and state" concept, and dont feel like church leaders should tell us what to vote for. its like the way mom FORCED me to practice the piano, so i never wanted to learn, infact, i despised the piano for so long because i dont like people forcing me to do anything. and that, my kin, is a very immature, irresponsible and very reactive way to respond in such a situation.
a more proactive and mature way to respond would be: "hmmm, i wonder why a prophet of God would think this is so important? doest not the words of The Lord fall from the lips of he that was called by Him? maybe i should reflect on my principles and values and make an educated decision before i express my hollow opinions and make a fool of myself." that last bit seemed somewhat biased to write, but yeah...
Do you want to know something crazy? At first I was obviously for voting yes/supporting Prop 8 (and upset with Ell's post)...but as I was chatting with Dad last night (we all know he has a way of doing this) I feel differently about it. I would still vote for it if I lived in California, but I do not think the church should be getting involved (Dad and I did not talk about prop 8, so I don't know what his views are on that). People should choose to be able to be gay if they want and benefit from being as healthy a couple as they can, even though I personally believe it is very wrong.
I am still trying to understand it better, but I do not judge Ell, or those members of the church that are against it. Their understanding is different, that is all.
It would be hypocritical for me to do so anyways, since I am well-known for being politically LAZY....
I think that a person who is drawn towards a gay lifestyle deserves as much respect as any other human being. We are equal in feelings and ability to love or right to make choices. Our law should allow every person to have adequate and equal health care or financial support based on need.
But Heavenly Father instituted marriage between a husband and wife to create and be a foundation for families. Our whole gospel is based on that. To say that marriage is as equal between a man and woman as between two same-gender people is to say that marriage never was a divine organization given to us by Heavenly Father.
I think our generation has been fully brought up in a politically correct environment to include everybody and everything. I think that has seeped over to acceptance of every behavior as long as it seems only to affect the person(s) willingly involved. But of course it ends up changing our culture and our laws too.
I don't really feel heated about this--it actually seems more profitable to strengthen your family and the immediate areas in your influence--but it seems like it's all hastening to an end. There is little accepted moral structure to speak of, everything is giving us cancer, the main players in the economy have high-rolled it to implosion and even our food has less nutrition. It sounds like crazy talk, but seriously most man-driven things about our world are breaking down.
O my gosh, I must be on a kick. Sorry. I'm just organizing my thoughts with words and this is about the only place to air them.
How about...
The End.
Oh, P.S. I do think that calling a meeting about voter action a "fireside" was silly.
Post a Comment