Wednesday, February 15, 2012

In Our Own Backyard

As you know, my dad was born and raised in Mexico and I grew up until 11 years old in Arizona. Last year, August studied Georgia O'Keeffe. We checked out books and poems about her life in New Mexico, and my roots started to call to me.
Then a friend or two went to Arizona during Spring Break. Brilliant! I have always felt like a Pacific Northwest girl to my guts, but near the end of Spring, my guts are a little soggy and sunset by saguaro seems fabulous. The kicker was Oprah's tour of Ralph Lauren's south Colorado Ranch, Double RL. It was sweepingly, profoundly peaceful, like you could sit down and grow old in the same spot with out regret. I have never been much of an Americana fan, but those gorgeous, deeply cultural, Native American textiles hit me right between the eyes. Love. The history and symbolism would cozy up the chillest of winters.
 
 It all is reminding me of my childhood, which for years only remembered the summers up in Oregon. Now memories of turquoise sold at roadside stands, tile roofs, arid roses, climbing bouganvilla, and orange honeysuckle (really, you could suck the sweetness right out!), hikes along red, expansive, layered wide rock and mesas, hot nights in the porch hammock, midnight swimming, cactus, tumbleweeds, lizards, brushless forests, big sky and flat, ocean-like horizons with explosive sunsets. I want to soak in the Desert Southwest again.



 Who wants to camp out under the stars with me?

Timescapes: "Death is the Road to Awe" from Tom Lowe on Vimeo.


Try this book or some deeper reading on Georgia O'Keeffe for further southwestern inspiriation.

P.S. Ralph Lauren's son married Lauren Bush. I loved their vintage Colorado ranch wedding, a style which I had never considered so gorgeous before!
 
 

1 comment:

Reags said...

Gosh I love this! It is incredible!