Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine

 Well, here it is, Valentine’s Day.
This year, my kids made little heart-shaped soaps and put them on cardstock circles that said "Happy Valentine's Day to my WASHington Pal!" and "Valentine, you're SOAP-retty!". My heart did break a little when Eli informed me he forgot his Valentines that we were planning for him to hand out at a weekend class he had going on. It was a gentle way of saying Mom, I'm just not into that stuff anymore and you pretty much forced me to do it anyway. I'm growing up whether you like it or not. But at least Augs and Beau are excited about it.

I have asked Rusty what a woman can do for her man on Valentine's Day. And I quote:
I'm sayin' give us some junk food, the remote control, and send the kids a-packin'. A little time to ourselves, that's all a man wants!

We like to have a nice-cooked breakfast in the morning: sausage, eggs, bacon. 

And, we wouldn't mind seeing a little more skin on our wives. Occasionally.

By "occasionally" I can clarify he means always. And by always I can clarify that this does not apply to all the unlegally joined cousins out there. Save it for the husbands, ladies. Including you, Genevieve. Scandalous.

True story: When Rusty and I were in highschool, I snuck over to his house in the middle of the night and filled his car to the brim with pink, red, and white balloons for Valentine's Day. Apparently, I had not thought about the fact that he had a girlfriend and that his dad was a private investigator who would have shot me if he had heard someone prowling around in his kid's car.


Some are in the camp that a day set aside to show love is a poor excuse for not showing love the rest of the year. Totally. Let's show love year-round! But I also think it's an awesome reminder to think a little outside of the box. Also, love is for friends, and parents, and anyone you just feel special affection for so I say the day applies to anyone who comes right to your mind when you think about how much you love and appreciate someone.

Ideas:
  • Heart cupcakes delivered. Classic.
  • Lipstick writing on car window. Classic.
  • Notes where you least expect them. Another classic.
  • Take-out snuck into a movie or home on a blanket on the floor in front of a movie.
  • See above man-oriented suggestions.
  • Flowers. Classic. Also, house plant. Love it.
  • Plant summer bulbs in in their yard.
  • Leave a list of things you like about the person. Classic.
  • Pop a letter in the mail.
  • Give a book and some time to read it.
  • New socks. Who isn't glad to start the day with new socks?
  • Mix CD. Come on, it's still cool.
  • For your best friend--perfume or lipstick so they can feel cute.
I'm done with this list of classics but you get the idea.
Last true story. Rusty is good at doing thoughtful, romantic things; I lucked out. But one of my favorites was when I was at BYU. We were still just friends, honest. I was feeling lost and insignificant in a sea of BYU cuteness. After class, I checked my email (a brand new thing, back in the day) and he had sent me just this.

 She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

              -Lord Byron
I can't explain how special I felt, like the best person ever. That is when I decided I just had to marry him, and he hasn't let me down since. When I came home that summer, we gave it a go and a couple of weeks after our first good kiss (it took a few tries after so much "friend time") we knew we were getting married.

Spread the love, Girls!
Love, Kelsey Louise

2 comments:

Jourdan said...

I bought those $3 dollar already-put-together-dum-dum-valentines and through them in the kids' back packs. I never thought I could do that without feeling guilty, but hey! the kids picked them out and all the ideas i had I knew I'd be the one to end up making them all. It's just not worth it anymore and I've turned into the boringest person ever. (plus, i helped out in both kids' classes yesterday and it left me so exhausted I swear I'd never do it again, EVER...until I heard a random kid say "Dang, I wish my mom were here helping [insert sad face]" ok, maybe helping 60+ wiggly/non-listening/sugar-highed kids make a stupid craft is worth it.)

I even attempted to do our annual fondue dinner last night and the cheese/chocolate combo was so rich that we all went to bed grumpy and sick to our stomachs. I can't believe the energy I put into holidays in days gone past. I have lost 200% of my enthusiasm for life in general and these amazing posts of yours are making me feel ultra-lame.

p.s. you and rusty are so so great together.

p.p.s. I have so many comments for all these posts, dare I take up another 200 lines?

Kelsey said...

Jo I love your comments. We're two cuts of the same cloth. It is so releasing to know that every year doesn't have to compare to the previous years. I think it's a good lesson to teach the kids too, complaints or no. xo